Written July 5, 2010-the day after Leslie Bernell Smith passed away.
Last night, I got the news. Last night I'm not sure I accepted the news. Today, I'm trying to pretend it's not real while still planning how to get out to the funeral. I figure as soon as I get home to Utah that it will be all too real, so I may as well pretend it's not for now. I have moments, like right now where I realize it's real.
Moments where I stop cleaning, and doing laundry and playing with my little angel (that makes everything ok).
Last night I tried to put it away for later as we drove around watching fireworks.
Now, all I can think of is his sweet embrace, he would hold my head to his chest and tell me just how beautiful he thought I was! I was his favorite, you see! We all were, and we all knew it! This man was everywhere, no matter what it cost him physically he was there! He will still be everywhere. Grandpa lived for God and family! I remember getting teary eyed as Grandpa and Grandma walked up to the Timpanogas temple August 21, 2008 during a very difficult summer for both of them. He wouldn't have missed it for the world, even though I would have understood if he couldn't.
I remember Yogi Bear camp, where he thought it was so funny when I smashed my finger in the door and cried but he still kissed it better. I remember mornings in Myrtle Beach and Grandpa LOVED to go out on the veranda and drink his orange juice with his cinnamon raisin toast. And watching him put his feet in the water on the beach with his hat and shorts (the shorts you rarely saw him in because he felt his dress must portray the offices he held in the church such as Patriarch and Sealer). I remember watching him hold my sweet Gracie on the day of her blessing for the first time and treasuring it, it was priceless and certainly is now. And even in the hospital bed back in May he couldn't resist holding his arms and wanting to hold her, so we helped him for a few seconds.
Grandpa the memories are endless, and the lessons learned forever. I would always wish for a few more moments, a few more hugs and a few more quiet whispers in a very serious tone instilling in me the virtues you lived so well. Thank you for the legacy, I will live my life to leave the same legacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment